New Humanity Movement

Education and Culture

Esp67_Cifa_OnlusA Brazilian school with a particularly difficult class. The idea of a psychology student to help the teachers with the simple “love dice” brings about, thanks to a spectacular domino effect, the improvement of the students' conditions, and of the relationship with their community. Nowadays other schools are involved in the project.

from Rio Branco-Mandaguacù/PR- Brazil

I am at the third year of my psichology major. This year, among my college mates, there is an elementary school teacher. She studies psichology, because she wants to better understand some behavioural mechanisms of children and teens, so that she can “do something positive for them”.

One day she told me, she had a lot of problems with her pupils. Her class was considered, as composed by “socially outcast persons”, all the kids had a lot of problems in studying, and as a consequence they had a bad social behaviour. She had already decided she would drop that class, as other colleagues had already done before.

We talked about the pdf Cube of Love , and I volunteered to help her in developing a recovery project with her class. She was surprised at hearing my proposal, and she called for a meeting with the principals of the school, and all the teachers, in order to present them the project. This was so enthusiastically accepted, that we started it in two classes, instead of just one.

The first day things were very difficult, and we were about to leave the classroom before the official end: some of the kids wanted to run away jumping from the window, others started playing cards, some tried to saw the teacher's bench into two pieces, finally others wanted to tear documents apart. It was a real fight for the whole period, and at the end we were all exhausted.

The following day we adopted a different strategy: we divided all the kids into five-person groups, so that it was easier to begin. We introduced the “love-dice”, we shared with them our experiences about dialogue and love towards the others, and we made them understand the meaning of doing good to the others.

Little by little our idea started working. The more the kids had the opportunity to give something to a neighbour, with a simple act, listening, giving an advice, the more they felt they were loved. The pupils started cleaning the classroom, as an act of civility and nearness towards the teacher and the school janitor.

It was a big surprise for everybody, and the project was extended to the entire school, involving the parents, in order to tighten the links among the school, the pupils, and the entire community.

In the meantime we were invited by the Education Department of the Maringá Mandaguaçu municipality, to extend the project to all the city elementary schools.
The University where I study understood the importance of our work, and a professor offered me the opportunity to work both with my college mates and with other persons, so that this experience could become a larger and truly shared project; this helps us in understanding that brotherhood is becoming a real and concrete fact also in our city.

© Photo Copyright Cifa Onlus, Creative Commons License
Presets
Main Style
Patterns
Accent Color
Apply

This website uses “technical cookies”, including third parties cookies, which are necessary to optimise your browsing experience. By closing this banner, or by continuing to navigate this site, you are agreeing to our cookies policy. The further information document describes how to deactivate the cookies.